History of the 44th Virginia Volunteer
that would eventually comprise the 44th Regiment of the Virginia Infantry were
recruited from the central Virginia. The 10 companies
were accepted into the Virginia state forces on June 14, 1861, in Richmond. They were sworn
into Confederate service around July 1, 1861. William Campbell Scott was
selected as the first colonel of the regiment. He would serve the
regiment until his resignation on December 31, 1862. “Often in the
forefront of action, General Richard S. Ewell
credited the 44th Virginia for turning the tide in
the battle of Port Republic on June 9, 1862.” (K. C. Ruffner,
44th Virginia Infantry) At Port Republic, the 44th
Virginia was usually in the thickest of the fighting in every engagement.
The 44th was assigned to Edward Johnson’s
Army of the Northwest, which was later incorporated into Stonewall Jackson’s
fabled Army of the Valley. The regiment would ever afterwards be
associated with Jackson and the Second Corps, Army of Northern Virginia.
The regiment was virtually annihilated at Spotsylvania in May 1864. 158 men, the colonel, major, and
16 captains and lieutenants were captured when Federals overran their exposed
position in the Mule Shoe. The regiment suffered only 1 man killed and 2
wounded in the brief encounter. Their flag was seized by a member of the
The remnants of the units were consolidated into one company and surrendered 17
officers and men, torn by 4 years of war, at Appomattox. These men truly deserve to be called
veterans. Few units ever saw more intense actions than the 44th Virginia
of the 44th Virginia Infantry were:
Company A: Appomattox Invincibles hailed from Appomattox County, enlisting on April 26, 1861, and originally was
commanded by James E. Robertson. This company was removed from the 44th Virginia in March 1862 to form
Company C of the 20th Battalion Virginia Heavy Artillery.
Company B: Boyd Rifles were recruited from Goochland County. Their commander
was William Lacy. They enlisted en masse on April 1st.
Company C: Travis Rifles hailed from Buckingham County and enlisted with their
commander Thomas Buckner on June 6th.
Company D: Ambler Grays were a conglomerate from 4 different
counties, Louisa, Fluvanna, Goochland, and Hanover. They were sworn into
service June 8th under the command of Joseph Shelton.
Company E: Richmond Zouaves was the only company not from a rural locality.
They came from the capital city of Richmond. They enlisted June 10th and were commanded by
Edward McDonnell, Jr. This company withdrew from the regiment and became
Company E of the 19th Battalion Virginia Heavy Artillery. However, they
were ordered to return to the 44th Virginia in late February 1863.
Company F: Fluvanna
Hornets hailed from Fluvanna County. They were commanded by Thomas Weisiger and entered service on May 20th.
Company G: Randolph Guard resided in the counties of Prince Edward and Cumberland. They enlisted June 8th with Norvell Cobb commanding.
Company H: Amelia Minutemen from Amelia County, also enlisted on June 8th, with Thomas Coleman as
Company I: Mossingford
Rifles hailed from Charlotte County. William H. Marshall commanded them and they
entered service on May 8th.
Company K: Fluvanna
Guards also hailed from Fluvanna County. Under the command of David Anderson, they
enlisted on June 11th.
Ruffner, Kevin C., 44th Virginia Infantry. Lynchburg: H. E. Howard,
Early, Jubal A. Memoirs