Moulton was born on
They crossed the plains in the James G. Willie handcart company. As he was 11 years old, he had to help care for the younger children and made many trips back and forth through icy streams to carry smaller children across to safety.
During the Black Hawk War he acted as a scout for weeks at a time and also as a guard at home.
Joseph Moulton, George M. Giles, Frank Fraughton, Martin Oaks and Orson Hicken journeyed
December, 1868, Joseph married Elizabeth Giles in the Endowment House. Their first home was a log cabin on the south
east corner of the intersection at Second East and
To them were born nine children.
Joseph was called on a mission to
There was a great deal of agitation against polygamy from its first public announcement. Because of opposition to plural marriage the Edmund Tucker Bill was passed in 1887, which made it illegal for a man to live with more than one wife. This law was often enforced by fines and imprisonment. In order to prevent further persecution and indignities against the polygamists and their families, President Wilford Woodruff issued the Manifesto in 1890. Compliance with this law brought an end to polygamy by the Mormons.
be able to live with his three families, Joseph moved to Old Mexico in
1891. That year there was a severe
drought around Dublan, Old Mexico, and there was little feed for the
stock. The water holes dried up and the
bleaching bones of cattle could be seen almost everywhere. Without water it was impossible to raise
crops and there was no work for the older boys, so Aunt Lizzie returned to
Joseph had no formal education, but had an insatiable desire for knowledge. He was well versed in scripture and very well informed on many subjects.
He was on
the committee which planned the building of the
He filled two missions, was a first counselor to Bishop Thomas Hicken, and was a member of the High Council. He held many more Church and civic positions and was a devout Latter-day Saint.
(Text taken from “How Beautiful Upon the Mountains” written and compiled by Wasatch County Daughters of the Utah Pioneers, pp. 460-461).